Winter Sports Injury Prevention
Winter means cold temperatures, snowstorms, and fun winter sports for millions of people. For most winter sports, proper and well-fitting equipment, good physical conditioning, common sense, and good sportsmanship can help eliminate many injuries. More than 440,000 people were treated at hospitals, doctor’s offices, and emergency rooms for winter sports-related injuries in 2019 (Consumer Product Safety Commission).
Common winter sports injuries include sprains, strains, dislocations, and fractures. Many of these injuries happen at the end of the day when people overexert themselves to finish that one last run before the day’s end. Most of these injuries can easily be prevented if participants prepare for their sport by keeping in good physical condition, staying alert, and stopping when they are tired or in pain.
Winter Sports Safety Tips
• Never participate alone in a winter sport.
• Keep in shape and condition muscles before participating in winter activities.
• Warm up thoroughly before playing or participating. Cold muscles, tendons, and ligaments are vulnerable to injury.
• Wear appropriate protective gear, including goggles, helmets, gloves, and padding.
• Check that equipment is working properly prior to use.
• Wear several layers of light, loose and water- and wind resistant clothing for warmth and protection. Layering allows you to accommodate your body’s constantly changing temperature. Wear proper footwear that provides warmth and dryness, as well as ample ankle support.
• Know and abide by all rules of the sport in which you are participating.
• Take a lesson (or several) from a qualified instructor, especially in sports like skiing and snowboarding. Learning how to fall correctly and safely can reduce the risk of injury.
• Pay attention to warnings about upcoming storms and severe drops in temperature to ensure safety.
• Seek shelter and medical attention immediately if you, or anyone with you, is experiencing hypothermia or frostbite. Make sure everyone is aware of proper procedures for getting help if injuries occur.
Take Care of Your Sports Injuries at Cape Fear Orthopedics & Sports Medicine (CFO)
When it comes to serious winter sport injuries, you want the highest level of care. And many people from North Carolina count on Cape Fear Orthopedics Medical Center to get them back on their feet. That is because CFO has the largest and most comprehensive orthopedic program in North Carolina. Cape Fear Orthopedics assures you of the highest level of medical expertise, as well as the support of a complete range of physical therapy services.
Expert care from leading physical therapy specialists
The orthopedic program at Cape Fear Orthopedics & Sports Medicine includes some of the area’s most prominent physical therapy specialists. Some are pioneers in researching new orthopedic treatments. Others developed new medical devices and procedures that are now being used around the world. And still others are at the forefront of pain-control techniques. Together, they represent the highest level of orthopedic experience in the region.
The first step in developing an effective treatment plan is to pinpoint the exact problem and evaluate the extent of the damage. The orthopedic specialists at CFO have a complete range of the most advanced diagnostic tools at their disposal everything from the latest imaging equipment to advanced procedures for determining muscle strength, to sophisticated tests for diagnosing nerve damage.
The region’s most experienced surgical treatment
CFO surgeons perform more than 8,000 orthopedic surgeries annually. Some of these are “minimally invasive” procedures, which allow surgeons to remove bone fragments, repair tears, and do other procedures through tiny incisions. Others including total joint replacements, knee ligament reconstruction, neck, and spine surgeries — are much more complex operations. If you need surgery, you will have the reassurance of knowing your procedure will be done in a state-of-the-art operating room, equipped with sophisticated technology, and staffed by an experienced, dedicated surgical team, skilled in virtually every orthopedic procedure available.
At Cape Fear Orthopedics & Sports Medicine, our specialty-trained doctors are recognized experts in the diagnosis and treatment of orthopedic conditions and injuries. When you are seen by one of our experts, you know that you are being treated by an experienced doctor who is focused and dedicated to providing you exceptional orthopedic care. If you have a bone, muscle, or joint injury, remember the orthopedic program at Cape Fear Orthopedics & Sports Medicine has all the expert care you need to overcome your injury and get back to the activities you most enjoy. Call us today to schedule your initial consultation via email: email@example.com or call 910-484-2171.
Photo by Visit Almaty